Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cloth Diapers

  • So I’ve been getting a lot of questions on cloth diapering. I don’t consider myself an expert, but I’ve experimented quite a bit and here’s what I’ve found. At the end I’ll tell you what I recommend!

  • Now, diapers are a necessary evil, and since I have to use them, I choose cloth diapering for a few reasons. It started because we spent lots of money on the expensive pampers brand because our kids have super duper sensitive bottoms. White cloud was ok when Sarahbeth was a baby, and then they changed their formula just before tj was born and they just made her bottom so sore and red. Then tj did the same. So we just accepted that we would have to spend the big bucks. But then we were introduced to it through my friend and after we started trying it, I loved it. But it does take some getting used to. I also learned how much money we save even with having to wash a little more (3-4 extra loads a week… big deal) and that the little gel things used in the disposable diapers are made with the same stuff that recently was banned from tampons for causing TSS (toxic shock syndrome). The diaper companies get away with it because you don’t technically insert the gel into the body, but anyone who has seen a REALLY wet diaper knows that those gel things have minds of their own and you can’t prevent them from going anywhere! Also links to asthma and male sterility have been found too. Mmmmm, interesting huh? My suggestion is to look at all the reviews and websites and order just a couple of different ones to try. I’ll give you a run down of what I use to add to your suggestion box.

  • Bum genius AIO (all in one): this is a cd (cloth diaper) that is as close to a disposable as you can get. They work great! But take longer to dry in the dryer in humid climates. I have found that adding a towel to the dryer helps shorten the drying time! These are my favorite! (About $15 each)

  • Bum genius pocket version 3 one size: this means that this diaper can fit a “newborn” all the way to potty training. They say newborn, but I say about 3 months and up actually. Once you look at the pictures you'll understand why. But it has snaps that size it differently. A pocket one is just like an AIO except that the absorbent insert comes out of the ... get this... the pocket! What a concept! The only down side is that you have to take out the insert to wash it... big deal! These are brads and my second favorite. And they don't take too long to dry. ($18 each)

  • Dry bee’s pockets: tried... didn't like the quality of the diaper. Don’t recommend it!
  • Thirsties all in one: I thought I was absolutely going to love this…. But I didn’t. it’s a pocket diaper with the insert sewn in, but with extra room for more stuffing if you need it, which I did, I have heavy wetters I guess and the little lining they did have just wasn’t enough, and when I added more it was tight and bulky. I have 2 of these if anyone is interested in trying them though. They just didn’t work on my kids.
  • Prefolds with thirsties diaper covers: these ones are great if you want to go the cheapest route... this is the old way of cloth diapering, but it's the cheapest. A single prefold is about 1.50, but come in bulk packages a little cheaper. The thirsties covers are $11 (there are other brands, but I haven’t tried them), and then there are a couple of ways you can fold the prefold. You just have to play around with what works best for your baby. You can use pins if you want, but I use a snappy. It’s a claw like thing that make it SUPER easy to secure. Or you can try it without it and just use the diaper cover. Some of my complaints are that it is a little more bulky, but it's the most absorbent, and it takes longer to put on, which can be challenging with a wiggler. And tj loves the different colors.
  • Diaper sprayer: we got one, and thought it was pretty neat at first, but it’s not a necessity for cloth diapering. Rather it gets the toilet bowel pretty messy. But still can be useful
  • Dissolvable liners: when the baby starts eating solids (or formula) you have to start dumping the waste in the toilet. OR, you can use the liners that are like dryer sheets almost and collect the waste, then dump that in the toilet. They dissolve in about 8 days for a regular sewage system, and take about 20 for septic. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE!
  • Washing I wash my diapers usually every other night. But never go more than 3 days. Put your water level setting higher than you think it needs… usually the highest or 2nd highest. I rinse in cold water, then wash in hot with 1/2 the recommended detergent, then do an extra rinse in hot. Then dry... no fabric softener and no bleach. If you get stains they usually come out with the next wash, but they also say the sun will bleach it out just fine too... haven't tried that one yet, but everyone else says it works.
  • Websites
  • http://www.babycottonbottoms.com/ I love this website! You can call/email this one and they respond really fast! It’s great! I got my diaper sprayer from this one. She also can send you a copy of her wipe recipe if you ask her. But its 1/2 tsp baby wash, 3 cups warm water. And then you can add different extracts... I like tea tree oil and lavender extract... just a couple drops of each will do. The bottles cost about 10 bucks, but you only use a couple of drops so they last almost forever. The detergent I use I get from here too... the Allens one. You can order different sizes and even a couple of trial packets. They also have a small tote that I love; I got 4 of them and rotate them. But I prefer using something that zips up. This site has a flat shipping rate of $5. Also, they have a bargain basement where you can buy and sell your diapers!
  • http://www.diaperjungle.com This one is great for different research and information, like a detergent check list, and FAQ's
  • http://www.nickisdiapers.com/ This is the other one I buy things from. They have a great deal on the flannel wipes. They also have great packaged deals. I also like the whammies bags they have that zip. The smallest one is great for wipes, the next size up is great for the diaper bag to keep the dirty ones in while you are out, and the all day one is absolutely great for at home on the back of a door. This site has free shipping on orders over $75.
  • http://drybees.com/store/ I’ve tried a dry bee diaper, but I didn't like it. The flannel started to peel after a couple of washes and the tabs folded over too. But the website has great links.
  • Rundown Okay so the rundown of what I recommend: I prefer AIO’s rather than prefolds. I have plenty of prefolds and for night time toddlers; they are great since they are the most absorbent. HOWEVER, having just gone through the newborn phase, I would have preferred to have all of them been AIO’s. 4 diaper changes a night wears you out and the least amount of work that I have to do the better! So, what do I suggest? It really depends on how often you want to do laundry. I have found it ideal to have complete 2 day supply with just a couple of extra, but if you do laundry every day and a half, your can get away with a few less. They are cheaper the more you buy at once though. I’d suggest getting AIO’s for first 3 months, sizes x-small and small, and then a few AIO’s for each size up, but you can start using the Bum genius pockets by then. I’d suggest about 6-8 of those. Nickis’ has the wipes we use, and the bags for the dirty diapers. I don’t soak mine… just stick it all in the washer and its fine! And then the liners once they start solids. But other than that it’s pretty simple.
  • Feel free to ask me any questions…

2 comments:

mcamp said...

thanks for that info, i've been wondering when you were going to blog again but with all those diapers to change and wash I can see why!

Oh and it's really hard to read with your current background, my eyes hurt by the time i was done.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into G-diapers at all. I know they are maybe a little more pricey, but the liners are flushable and natural. I have heard good things about them.