Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What's there to eat?

So after this last general conference weekend, i'm really feeling the urgency of getting our family's food storage in order. i have a few friends that are specialists in their wards that send me information here and there, but i'm curious, what do you all do for your food storage and with your budgets???? where do you go? what do you buy? what do you make?

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Starting out, I only buy what I know my family will eat. We've branched out since our oldest was a baby, because we've been working on trying more and more stuff. The recipes come with time and experimentation. I like to bake so we store a lot of flour and wheat, and the kids like rolled oats, spaghetti,and refried beans from the storehouse so we have a lot of those. Plus, a lot of our food storage is in canned items from the grocery store, like fruits and vegetables, spaghetti sauce, etc. And the only way we eat apple pie is from the dried ones from the storehouse. Yummy!

holley family said...

tracy, what is your recipe for the apple pie????

Kat M said...

Back in Flagstaff we got two one month supply kits.

When something is on awesome sale we will stock up. Like $.50 for a can of chili or corn.

We have used almost all of our food storage in the past few months because of Stuart's job situation and gov't agencies slowness. It was REALLY REALLY hard to only have a few meals to live on. I am SICK of pasta. from that I have learned that you really do need a varitety.

I haven't moved on from getting a 3 mo. supply of food your family eats regularly, but that is a great place to start.

I have a blog post about my food storage. If the link doesn't work, just look under labels at "My project organization".

http://katsgreatadventure.blogspot.com/2008/11/food-storage-update.html?zx=2d76970a5de77157

Shanda said...

I am not the person to give advice about food storage but I recently found this site and thought it was very helpful:
http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/babysteps/

Elizabeth said...

Every time you go to the grocery store check out the canned goods isle, find what's on sale that you and your family eat and stock up.

I grew up with food storage and was the emergency specialist in my YSA ward AND my parents are the stake emergency preparedness peoples...I have a TON to say on the subject. But seriously, that is the best way to start.

WATER should be the first thing you do though...you can survive w/o food for a long time, but not without water...

Sabre said...

I don't have a family like you so I am probably not a good advice giver -
but have you heard of thegrocerygame.com?

I've had friends with large families use it and tell me they love it. Haven't tried it myself though.